North & South Branch
Male Building Female Building
Appropriation Year: 1885 Appropriation Year: 1885
Construction Started: 1885 Construction Started: 1885
Construction Finished: 1886 Construction Finished: 1886
Building Opened: 1886 Building Opened: 1886
Demolished: 1960 Demolished: 1960
Current Building Number: N/A Current Building Number: N/A
Alt Name(s):
 - Male Chronic Ward
 - Male 9&10
Alt Name(s):
 - Female Chronic Ward
 - Female 9&10
 
Architect: Unknown
Building Type: Patient Wards
SEE IT ON A MAP: Male / Female (Building is highlighted in yellow)
 

The North and South Branch buildings were built originally to help alleviate the overcrowding in the Main Building. In 1885 $80,000 was appropriated for constructing the two branch buildings, one for men and one for women. Construction was finished in 1886. They each contain accommodations for 152 patients, and were connected to each other and the Main Building by long corridors. On the first floor of each are two large day rooms and single and double bed rooms; on the second are two large dormitories with a few smaller bed rooms. One-half of the basement of each building was setup as a dining room. After the demolition of the Main Building they were re-named Male and Female 9 & 10 and were used for chronic patients. In 1894 problems with the buildings were reported by then superintendent, Henry Orth. That spring diarrhoeal and dysenteric diseases became a problem at the hospital. Orth attributed these problems to "filth due to imperfect ventilation." Steam coils in iron chests were placed in the attics with outlets on the roof. From the chests, large ventilation pipes were run into each bathroom. This created a continuous downward ventilation through the rooms. This solution seemed to have cured the problem, because after installation, not a single case of dysenteric was reported. Both Branch Building were constructed cheaply and quickly and were primarily built of wood. Plans were made to add towers and porches to the buildings to give them a better appearance, but these plans were never actually completed. They were both demolished after the completion of Eaton in 1960.

 

Vintage Photos & Postcards


       
       

[Back]

____________________________________________

Copyright 2007 - 2016 • Thomas Industries • All rights reserved