Early Support Buildings

 

Fan House, Carpenter Shop, & Storage Building

Build Date: 1869
Type: Support Buildings
Demolished: 1908
Current Buildings #: N/A
Alternate Names: N/A
Special Features:
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map 1, Map 2
Constructed in 1869 to help elevate the problem of poor ventilation in the Main Building, the Fan House contained steam powered fans that forced fresh air though a ventilation system that connected to the rear of the Main Building. In-between the fan house and the rear of the main building was a storage building, which would later be used as a pantry for the kitchen. All of these buildings were demolished 1908.

Photos

   


Blacksmith Shop

Build Date: 1887
Type: Support Buildings
Demolished?: No
Current Building #: 37
Alternate Names: Paint Shop
Special Features:
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map 1

Photos

   


Water Works - Pumping Station, Filter Beds, & Creek

Build Date: 1887
Type: Support Buildings
Demolished?: Partially
Current Building #: 24
Alternate Names: N/A
Special Features:
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map 1

Photos

         

       

 

 


Ice House & Pond

Build Date: 1886-1887
Type: Support Buildings
Demolished?: Yes - 1927
Current Building #: N/A
Alternate Names: N/A
Special Features:
 
 

Construction of the Ice House began in 1886, it was constructed entirely by patients and attendants. During the winter months the pond infront of the ice house would freeze, large blocks of ice were then harvested and stored in the ice house. The well insulated Ice House could store the large blocks of ice all year long. The Ice House was abandoned in 1904 when a new Cold Storage Building was completed next to the Kitchen. At 10:30pm on March 8, 1927 the ice house was destroyed by a large fire that was set by a patient. The remains of the building were cleared and the pond was filled in.

Photos

         

       

     

 

[Back]

____________________________________________

Copyright 2007 - 2016 • Thomas Industries • All rights reserved