Outbuildings & Homes

 

North Museum

Construction Started: 1852
Construction Finished: 1853
Type: Patient Recreation
Demolished: No
Current Building #: 7
Alternate Names: Dixmont Cottage, Male Museum & Reading Room
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map (Building is highlighted in yellow)
 

Finished in 1892, the Male Museum and Reading Room was located in front of the male wing of the Main Building. It and its female counterpart ware entirely paid for by funds donated by Dorothea Dix and the Philadelphia Fund.  Constructed of brick with a concrete exterior, it measured 42 feet wide by 25 feet deep. A portico ran the length of the front, from which patients could sit and enjoy a view of the ornately landscaped grounds. A tin roof topped off the building which was crowned with an ornamental cupola that allowed an optimal amount of sunlight inside the building. The building was well heated by hot air furnace in the cellar. Once completed the building was furnished with books and other "curiosities" for the enjoyment of the better class of patients. On June 16, 1855 a tornado tore the roof off the North Museum, tin and other materials were strewn across the grounds. At some point an addition was made on to the rear of the building.

Photos

     

 


South Museum

Construction Started: 1852
Construction Finished: 1853
Type: Patient Recreation
Demolished: No
Current Building #: 9
Alternate Names: Dix Museum, Occupational Cottage, Female Museum & Reading     Room
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map (Building is highlighted in yellow)
 

The female Museum and Reading Room mimicked the male building in design and purpose, it was located in front of the female wing of the Main Building. This building was later used as the Dix Museum until it was dismantled around 2006 when the curator passed away. Unlike its male counterpart, it has been left unaltered by time and still appears today (2012) much as it did in 1892.

Photos

   

 


 

Male Recreation Building

Build Date: 1935
Type: Patient Recreation
Demolished: 1975
Current Buildings #: N/A
Alternate Names: N/A
 
 
 

The Male Recreation building was constructed in 1935. Located between the North Branch Building and the Male Convalescent Ward it housed a barber shop, general store, and two pool tables. A covered porch lined the front of the building which on a warm day would usually be occupied by several patient in rocking chairs. The building was constructed mainly from wood and was torn down in 1975 along with both the North and South Branch Buildings.


 

Sewing Room

Build Date: 1935
Type: Patient Recreation
Demolished: No
Current Buildings #: 36
Alternate Names: Clothing Tree
 
 
 

The Sewing Room mimicked the Male Recreation Building on the female side of the campus. It too was built in 1935 and was used for the recreation of female patients. Unlike its male counterpart, this building was built of brick rather than wood.

Photos

 


 

Gate House

Build Date: Unknown
Type: Staff Housing
Demolished?: No
Current Buildings #: 1
Alternate Names: N/A
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map (Building is highlighted in yellow)
 

Photos

   


Anderson Residence

Build Date: 1880
Type: Staff Housing
Demolished?: No
Current Building #: 3
Alternate Names: N/A
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map (Building is highlighted in yellow)
 

Photos

       


Eaton Cottage

Build Date: 1880
Type: Staff Housing
Demolished?: No
Current Building #: 4
Alternate Names: N/A
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map (Building is highlighted in yellow)
 

Photos

     

 


Stafford Cottage

Build Date: 1930
Type: Staff Housing
Demolished?: No
Current Building #: 5
Alternate Names: Physicians Residence
 
SEE IT ON A MAP: Map (Building is highlighted in yellow)
 

Photos

   

 


Patton House

Build Date:
Type: Farm House
Demolished?: No
Current Building #: 56
Alternate Names:
 
 
 

Photos

 

 
 

[Back]

____________________________________________

Copyright 2007 - 2016 • Thomas Industries • All rights reserved